BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
04 May 2018 06:41 #192377 by X8GGY
Thanks Kirkynut ;)

Put into perspective though, I reckon the front LSD equipped diff was in for 3.5 years?!

So that's probably fifty greenlaning trips / events, and seen off a Rob Storr HD CV in it's life so far too, so I think that's a damn good life so far ;)

It'll be rebuilt in time, as you say our-Rockwatt is super-busy at the moment, so I'll have to run with an open diff on the front for a while...
The topic has been locked.
More
04 May 2018 11:49 #192390 by sniper
Excellent blog and great tech info on the build, thanks.

sniper
More
04 May 2018 12:55 #192394 by X8GGY
Thanks Sniper ;) Following your build too B)
More
04 May 2018 13:17 #192396 by maverick
A very informative video ... I wonder if anyone "pegs" a Jimny Differential?

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
04 May 2018 16:04 #192400 by kirkynut
I think in comparison to Land Rover diffs the Jimny ones are stronger in their application, so there's not the demand to make it worthwhile messing about with pegging of them. It is as Dave says really.

Let's face it too, if anyone was going to break one, it's Dave!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
More
05 May 2018 12:49 - 05 May 2018 12:52 #192427 by X8GGY
The recent repairs were to get ready for the annual punch hunt at Hawkstone Park Follies with the Shropshire Greenlanes Facebook group tomorrow. Brett and I are honourary members, and have gone for the last four years, and I was just researching back for the historic results for the inevitable blog... ;)

2017 ... Brett & Dave won, Alan & I were joint second
2016 ... Alan & I won, partly as Brett was away working and couldn't attend
2015 ... Alan & I were second, Brett retired after trying too hard and shearing BOTH UJs on the rear prop?! We also got the 'Best in Show' award
2014 ... Brett won and I retired with an alternator full of mud from the punch in the middle of the mudrun, I was still in a Vitara then though, it was before I upgraded to a Jimny ;)

Let's see what TEAM JIMNY can do tomorrow then? ;) Wish us luck! :woohoo:
Last edit: 05 May 2018 12:52 by X8GGY.
More
07 May 2018 10:49 - 07 May 2018 10:57 #192472 by X8GGY
Sunday the 6th of May then...

On the way down we stopped at "The Raven", a biker / truck stop Cafe on the A41...

For an excellent and reasonable breakfast!

Arrived. "Hawkstone Park Follies" the home of Ash4x4 and today's punch-hunt with "Shropshire Greenlanes" Facebook Group

We each have to do a failed hill climb for safety...

After Brett's done his, I went up, came down in reverse, but then the brake pedal fell to the floor?!

Bugger! :( The front offside brake hose has burst, brake fluid everywhere...

So we quickly clamp it with a mole grip, and consider our options... It would be too dangerous to compete, but we could limp home on three brakes?...

So I paid my entry fee as a donation to the group and watched the briefing, wished Brett and his "winch bitch" Dave all the best for the day, and Alan and I decided to limp home rather than spectate...

We got back onto tarmac and started driving home, but the front offside brake was making a grating noise and when we stopped for a look it was very hot, so I decided to take the wheel off and remove the caliper and ty-wrap it to the chassis out of the way, thinking the brake fluid was getting passed the clamp on braking but then had no-where to go back under less pressure so it was keeping the brake on slightly?

Whilst doing this I noticed... the wheel bearing had gone :(

Nothing for it then...

Time for a lift home :( The RAC subcotracted the job to Egertons to take us home...

Home safely after a nice steady 56mph journey in a nicely air-contioned truck...

BUT!... When we came to unload, Alan noticed a pool of oil on the lorry's flatbed... under the nearside rear wheel, seems another bearing has gone :( So, time to replace all four methinks, and new brake hoses... :(

But, the GOOD NEWS, whilst we were being recovered hom, Brett and Dave -

... had won! 20 punches found and collected, and handed the card in early! WELL DONE BOTH! B)
Last edit: 07 May 2018 10:57 by X8GGY.
  • Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 May 2018 15:57 #192479 by Lambert
And after only just putting it back together too.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2018 16:13 #192480 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Pants.......
  • Stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2018 09:58 #192503 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic Re:Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
'least you had a manly breakfast before your 'DOH!.'..moment....
More
12 May 2018 20:51 #192637 by kirkynut
Terrible luck Dave. It gets me down when too many issues arrive like this but it's par for the course when you use your Jimny like you do. It's a shame our household's road cars (old beemers) have been as problematic lately.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
More
13 May 2018 12:46 - 13 May 2018 12:47 #192648 by X8GGY
My luck continues... :lol:

Stripped the front hubs down this morning ready for new bearings to be fitted... the offside free wheel hub is in pieces internally, probably due to the excessive heat caused by the wheel bearing filing, which I thought was the brakes rubbing at the time, just having a cuppa and will see if it's repairable, but I doubt it...

Rear axle stripped too, shafts are out and I'm about to cut the ABS rings off to get them ready for the garage to press new rear bearings on also...

Popped the rear diff out to reseal it too, and found...

Ahhh... helter skelter splines on the rear prop! :ohmy:

Seeing what I have in the props parts bin too then?

Slurp! Right, back to it, laters.... ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 May 2018 12:47 by X8GGY.
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds