BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Re:Re:New Land Rover Defender leaked photo

More
02 Sep 2019 17:50 - 02 Sep 2019 17:52 #213006 by Foxtrot
As a bit of interest below is the new Defender, the photograph was taken on the new James s Bond film set. It's looks a bit like a Ssangyong Korando. Personally the Jimny wins hands down for a purposeful looking 4x4

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Sep 2019 17:52 by Foxtrot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Sep 2019 19:15 #213022 by Lambert
Oh dear, jlr really have forgotten how to use their design software haven't they. Another vaguely but not really different shape with a range rover front end. Kinda sad really.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Sep 2019 21:57 - 02 Sep 2019 21:57 #213027 by Foxtrot

Lambert wrote: Oh dear, jlr really have forgotten how to use their design software haven't they. Another vaguely but not really different shape with a range rover front end. Kinda sad really.

Yes your right, it's looks like another lazy reheated Range Rover/Disco4 'design.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2019 21:57 by Foxtrot.

More
03 Sep 2019 07:08 #213032 by Gadget
So disappointing. I bet it will sell well though, lots of people will be seduced by the rufty tufty image associated with the Defender name, even if the new model is nothing like it's predecessors.

More
03 Sep 2019 07:17 #213034 by mlines
Trouble is that it is priced at range rover prices.

I hear a millionaire has developed a basic defender copy and is looking at going into production in South Wales. Seems to think there is a gap in the market for a workhouse 4x4

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
03 Sep 2019 07:24 - 03 Sep 2019 07:24 #213035 by Foxtrot

mlines wrote: Trouble is that it is priced at range rover prices.
I hear a millionaire has developed a basic defender copy and is looking at going into production in South Wales. Seems to think there is a gap in the market for a workhouse 4x4
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Your right Martin, Jim Ratcliffe has a rugged 4x4 in the pipeline called Project Grenadier

projektgrenadier.com/
Last edit: 03 Sep 2019 07:24 by Foxtrot.

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 08:34 #213036 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Re:New Land Rover Defender leaked photo
I'm not entirely sure there's a gap in the market, it's pretty crowded to be honest; if we're thinking that agricultural types and utilities were big buyers of Defenders then there's quite a lot of competition. Mid range defenders were pushing 30k new in 2016 and that'll still buy you a Ford Ranger crew cab or any number of derivatives.

It'll tow what those people want and cross the forestry tracks to or wet fields as good as a defender.

Now there's a gap for a serious off road similar to what the Defenders could do; it's filled by the Jimny, Land Cruiser etc etc. But that's a much smaller market I think than commercial buyers and JLR knows that. I wish that Welsh venture the best of luck but I suspect it'll be a hard sell and will only tempt die hard Defender fans cos the rest will just buy a Land Cruiser if buying new...

More
03 Sep 2019 09:15 #213038 by RainerK
And, coming from Austria, the G although the price level is quite different.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Sep 2019 16:18 #213061 by Lambert
As a farmer the problem with the pickups is that they are huge, the shortest is over 5 metres long! By the time you have a 12 foot trailer swinging off the back you have a rig that is almost unusable on country roads and is a nightmare in a small market town. Add to the size the weight of these pickups and anything but the height of summer going on the land is going to make a mess. That is why the old defender was so useful, it was the size of a Jimny but strong enough to do actual meaningful work. But jlr lost faith and went chasing the fashion market because it is lucrative in the short term. The new defender unfortunately seems cast in the same fashionable mold and that makes me sad.

More
12 Sep 2019 17:56 #213435 by facade
Now all the review videos are out, we should all have seen it.
I quite like the fablon covering, I'm thinking of getting the jimny done in fablon, then I could have the green I wanted in the first place, but they only guarantee it 5 years, so it hardly seems worth it.

Not impressed with that big square stuck in the window, apparently it is the "signature graphic" and you can sling it in the shed until you sell it.
The steel wheels look like they are off completely the wrong car to me, and the whole swb looks like a BMW mini, I can't see the "heritage resemblance" the reviewers are raving about.

And they still bolt lumps of steel to highly corrodable aluminium alloys- didn't pretty much every rotbox they have made in the last 70 years teach them anything :pinch:

Can't say I'd spend that much of my own money on something that has so much to go wrong- the only electronics in my old 110 were in the alternator, but if someone wants to give me a swb, or lend it me for a couple of years to review....... ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• aage
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2019 21:05 #213449 by aage
Replied by aage on topic New Land Rover Defender leaked photo
I actually like its look BUT. Some years ago I owned a Land Rover Discovery II , I think it was 2007 model. Very expensive to maintain, heavy and Yes I just did not like it. To refined and delicate for my taste. Then I had a Land Rover Defender for 5 years and I actually loved many things about the Defender , mostly its simplicity and easy to work on and a very good off roader. But it always leaked water and wind , so living in Iceland I finally gave up on it as my daily driver.

I think the Jimny ticks most boxes for me today of whats available in the 4x4 marked, its well built ( japanese quality ) , light and good off roader, like a well built small version of the old Defender.

I think all the Land Rovers made Today including the new Defender are to complicated and to delicate , to expensive to maintain. Just my opinion.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Sep 2019 04:22 #213453 by Lambert
I'm sure that if it's only used on the road that they will be fairly reliable but I suspect that if they were to see actual work on a farm or something then they will be spending time in their dealership for warranty work, lots of it.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds