Vehicles (17 Jan 2019)

You can now add the vehicles you own to your profile as little icons that appear in your profile and alongside your posts.
This is a bit of an experiment. Take a look under the "REWARDS" menu across the top of the screen for the vehicles "ADD/MODIFY" option.
Let me know how you get on.

Northumberland '19 2 day outing blog

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
  • Thank you received: 203
  • Gen 3 Jimny Gen 3 Jimny
07 Apr 2019 17:02 #205665 by Riccy
Bit of a change me putting up the link, but this is the blog from our latest outing to Northumberland.

All the way from Haltwhistle to Berwick-upon-Tweed on Saturday, including some woes for Brett (Maverick):

greenlaning.blog/2019/04/02/northumberla...ay1-30th-march-2019/

Then back South again on the Sunday (more woes for Brett!):

greenlaning.blog/2019/04/03/northumberla...k9zzHjjwlXlmSL5SXqws

Excellent outing, sadly without the usual blogger Dave Jones (S200KYS). Brett has done a sterling job with the blog in his role as "Junior blogger". Sadly I didnt take as many pics as last time I was out, but here's some:

J999 MNY, M16 VVT
R7me gbox & 5.16 Rocklobster, 285 75 r16 Toyo MT, 2x ARB Lockd' diffs, 7" lift, Recaro's, Custom bar, arches & guards, Snorkel, K&N, Winch, CB, etc, etc

SL06 ULS ULYSSES
06' pickup tipper project

greenlaning.blog/
www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: grumyoldjoe, Andy2640, Guy 2, stiffsteve204me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87
  • Gen 3 Jimny
07 Apr 2019 18:35 #205670 by sniper
Great stuff....

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Thank you received: 17
07 Apr 2019 19:01 #205673 by grumyoldjoe
Brilliant vids and pics.
Just had a couple of hours watching them full screen.
Great to see, thanks for sharing

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
  • Thank you received: 520
  • Gen 3 Jimny GV (2010) Gen 3 Jimny
08 Apr 2019 10:26 #205692 by Lambert
Cheers for sharing!

It's not a Jimny. It's my Jimny

Mooo said Ermintrude (black 2011)
Boing said Zebedee (blue automatic2011)
Hello said Florence (silver gv 2.4 2013)

• Thank you received: 433
  • Gen 3 Jimny Gen 3 Jimny Gen 3 Jimny
09 Apr 2019 05:56 #205740 by S200KYS
Looked like a great weekend! Great blog and videos...

Sorry I wasn't there, I felt it was a bit much, too long a days when I was considering it after getting out of hospital in January and beginning my recuperation from Pneumonia... so I pulled out of trips until the next one on the Lleyn Peninsula at the end of this month.

I have been out a few times locally for shorter days 'laning close to home though, and am ready to rejoin the main group's trips B)

is It Sunday Yet?

• Thank you received: 50
09 Apr 2019 11:34 #205755 by Guy 2
Loved the 'photos and vids. Thanks for that.

As a separate issue - how do you rate the Toyo MTs?

I'm asking because I am 'havering' about ATs or MTs while on "The Long Wait" for a Gen4 (the final decision will depend on how much I enjoy some off-road training planned for when I've got the vehicle).

Of the mud terrains I've read about I have a hankering for the Yokohama MT G003 - but these seem to be a bit of a rip-off of the Toyo MT tread pattern.

I am interested in both tyres and only mention the Yokos in preference to the Toyos because the former are, I believe, a newer tyre - and reasonably light (for a MT) at 14.68 kg per tyre. I don't have a weight for the Toyo MTs as yet - although I am trying to get it. I know weight is irrelevant off-road but I guess it still makes a difference on road.

Thanks in advance for any observations on how the Toyos perform.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
  • Thank you received: 203
  • Gen 3 Jimny Gen 3 Jimny
09 Apr 2019 17:10 - 09 Apr 2019 17:21 #205769 by Riccy
As a separate issue - how do you rate the Toyo MTs?

Very good actually.

Ive had BFG A/T (older ones) in 215/75r15, Maxxis 764 M/T in 235/75r15, Cooper STT pro M/T in 31x10.5r15 and now these Toyo M/T in 285/75r16. Thus the money pit progression went :laugh:

I would say about each:

BFG A/T:
Great all rounder but heavy so steering damper needed. Excellent in rocks, light mud and particularly good in snow, not that bad in the wet as far as I found. (newer bfg a/t would be my choice on a gen4 jimny in 215/75r15 size ;-) )

Maxxis M/T:
Poor on standard gearing, moved but the clutch was gonna go. More expense. Otherwise once gearing changed they were pretty good. did plenty of miles and wore well. Excellent in even fairly thick mud, rocky stuff and tracks, but not so great in the snow or wet (wet especially is a challenge for most M/T tyres).

Cooper STT pro M/T:
Superb and about the perfect size for green lanes. never got stuck with these. gearing a major issue to overcome for this size however. Excellent on mud/rock/snow, very poor in the wet if you hit a deep puddle (just sucks you in, but thats because they are huge).

Toyo opencountry M/T:
Pretty much as the coopers, except a fair bit quieter on the road and much better in the wet. top choice for a M/T tyre I would say :-) , but then I bought them didnt I? :laugh: only thing that would improve them is some sexy white sidewall lettering :laugh: :laugh:

BTW... the current toyo tyre and GV steelie weigh about 30kg each, stand nearly 33" tall (meaning I have a foot and a half before I need to worry about the diff :-) ). The gearing needed is epic, costly and complex :-(

J999 MNY, M16 VVT
R7me gbox & 5.16 Rocklobster, 285 75 r16 Toyo MT, 2x ARB Lockd' diffs, 7" lift, Recaro's, Custom bar, arches & guards, Snorkel, K&N, Winch, CB, etc, etc

SL06 ULS ULYSSES
06' pickup tipper project

greenlaning.blog/
www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 09 Apr 2019 17:21 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

• Thank you received: 50
09 Apr 2019 20:27 #205779 by Guy 2
Thanks for that - a really helpful, and thought provoking, reply. "Above and beyond" what I was expecting in terms of info but does move things forward for me. Will have to sit down and think carefully about how much modification I want/can afford, and in what sequence.

Will keep an eye out for your future adventures!

Thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds