BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Discuss the BigJimny Shop and Website in this section. Whats good, whats bad, whats ugly! - what would you like to see!

Wiki problems?

More
11 Dec 2018 21:29 - 11 Dec 2018 21:31 #198877 by Delux
Wiki problems? was created by Delux
Tried adding the guides I wrote in my current build guide to the 'How to' section on the Jimnywiki section. I thought some people may find them useful given certain recent subjects in the forum.

Followed the help section on setting up a new page, that worked!
Copied and pasted the guide and clicked 'preview'. That worked!
Clicked to publish my page and received an error message stating my session had timed out.

'Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data.

You might have been logged out. Please verify that you're still logged in and try again. If it still does not work, try logging out and logging back in, and check that your browser allows cookies from this site. '

I followed the recommendations,

I checked my browser allows cookies from the site. It does!

I checked I was logged in. I was!

I logged out then back in again.

Still didnt work!

Am I doing something embarrassingly wrong?

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux
Last edit: 11 Dec 2018 21:31 by Delux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2018 09:14 #198881 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Wiki problems?
Hi

First of all, thank you so much for attempting to add to the Wiki, it is very much appreciated.

This website has ongoing issues with sessions and session timeouts. Its a balance between convenience and security and when combined with some bugs in the operation it is a nightmare.

In the Wiki, you are offered two versions of editor. A basic text editor that seems stable but requires knowledge of Wiki mark-up language to make it look nice. The text editor is the most stable. There is also a "WYSIWYG" editor which is much prettier to use but suffers much more from session instability.

WHat makes it worse is switching between editors as they interfere with each other.

The simplest way might be to write the plain text off-line and then paste it into the basic editor and get it to save it. Then you can pretty the layout up later.

If you want to retry the editors then you could delete current cookies from this site and then only use one editor (do not switch between them).

An alternative is to create your content in a document and send to Bosanek (a user on this site). He is the principal contributor to this site and will be able to upload it for you.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delux

More
19 Dec 2018 19:15 - 19 Dec 2018 19:16 #199193 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Wiki problems?
I am having the exact same issues on the wiki for the last half a year, but I have just been lazy to report ...

Sometimes the wiki does not accept an edit when I try to save it.
It says the exact same message that Delux reported.

It appears that I can usually save a first edit in a particular day, but any subsequent edit in the same day usually fails in this manner. I have also found out that a selective clearance of all browser cookies for the web site www.bigjimny.com (and then logging back in in the wiki) solves it ... for the first edit after that. The 2nd edit after that fails again, and I have to repeat the same procedure all over.

This issue, apart from being frustrating, "deflects" / dissuades new potential Wiki contributors from becoming actual contributors.

P.S.: I never use the fancy editor, always the plain textual one, and I regularly encounter this issue.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2018 19:16 by Bosanek.

More
24 Dec 2018 10:58 #199391 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Wiki problems?
IT WORKED! NEARLY.

Sitting bored, waiting for family to descend, mess my house watching 'Bruces price is right'. Thought I'd have a go. Using the fancy editor I copied the script for my 'fitting an aerial' guide and hit 'submit'. Worked perfectly first time!

Motivated by this success I tried with my 'How to do brake pipes' guide and.....

same old time out problem! Will try again later.

More
24 Dec 2018 12:24 #199393 by Bosanek
I have just checked your first wiki edit (aerial fitting guide).
Not bad at all for a first edit ever!

But it will need some correction of the article name and proper categorization. I can do it for you, just let me know when you are finished editing the aerial fitting article so that our edits do not collide.

It appears that you do not know how to create a new wiki article from scratch (you actually edited a master category article and wrote your guide directly in it). Do not worry, I will fix that.

To help you avoid the same issue next time, I created an empty article for your next guide:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...nd_hoses_replacement

Freely edit that one.

More
24 Dec 2018 16:17 #199404 by Delux
Thanks Bosanek. Not really sure what I have to do to edit it!
If you have the time, sort it then I can add the changes to the brake pipe one.
I have a few more guides on the way so now is probably the best time to iron out any problems. Have even made a sign for the workshop to remind me to take pics, LOL!

More
26 Dec 2018 09:25 #199450 by Bosanek
Your radio antenna replacement guide has been moved to a new page:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit..._antenna_replacement

You can edit that page further from now on.

You can also freely edit your guide on brake hoses replacement which I created blank for you (link in my previous post).

You can learn how to create and edit Wiki pages here:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Help_page

More
26 Dec 2018 22:20 #199472 by Delux
Thanks for all your help Bosanek.
I have tried clearing out Mozilla using the options tab but that doesnt seem to make any difference but what I have found works is if I run a scan with advanced systemcare. It must clear out whatever causes the problem.

So, using the blank page you set up I have published my brake pipe guide!
When I clicked on the link I clicked 'edit' which brought up an error message. When I clicked 'edit source' the editor opened up. I was able to copy and paste it from my latest build guide then clicked 'save changes'. I didnt click preview just incase!

I saved the edited script you left when you created the page, so hopefully, using that and the help page I can publish my own pages and subject a wider audience to my blurry pictures and 'class comedian' write ups!

Many thanks!

More
27 Dec 2018 06:28 #199482 by Bosanek
I'm so glad that you started publishing.
Let me know whenever you are finished writing a certain article and I will then "spruce it up".

More
10 Jan 2019 07:08 - 10 Jan 2019 07:08 #200300 by Bosanek
I have revamped both articles written by Delux.

The article on brake pipes and hoses replacement contains only the guide on replacing the brake pipes. If someone would add the part on replacing the flexible brake hoses (even just the text, without the pictures), that would complete the article.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 07:08 by Bosanek.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds